We saw an amazing spirit amongst ourselves as well as the people of Belize. One event stood out that spoke to their generous spirit... we noticed a "yard sale" going on outside of the hospital. When approached as to the purpose, the people said they were selling these items to raise money for the people of Haiti. That was special.
As we look back, it is amazing what was accomplished in just four days (although much more time and effort went on in preparation for those four days)...
- 68 people received free surgical assistance (some had more than one procedure)
- 190 people were screened in preparation for the surgeries
- 680 people received medical care, vitamins, etc. at 4 village clinics
- 90+ people received reading glasses
- 50+ people received Bibles
- One home was completed (with unique showering system & possibly the only indoor plumbing in the village)
- 4 swings, 1 seesaw & playground equipment stabilized
- first Portable Ultrasound Equipment in the nation of Belize (to the best of our knowledge)
- 7+ doctors trained on use of equipment
- 200+ children participated in Vacation Bible School
All in all, it is amazing what God has accomplished through us but also in us.
I believe we were able to more than fulfill the theme of our trip: 1 Peter 4:10 "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."